Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Glass Etching

I'm sure you've seen these personalized Pyrex dishes all over blogland and pinterest, but they are such a good gift idea, I couldn't help but make a few this season!

I've used the etching cream for several projects in the past, but this one was one of the easiest since the sides are relatively flat. Sometimes it difficult to get the stencil to stick properly to a curved edge.

I started with a large Pyrex dish and cut out my brother-in-law & sister-in-laws's last name and a large letter A using contact paper and my Silhouette.

Stick these down on the outside and bottom of the dish (you don't want the etched edge to be inside where food will be). Some letters will need to be cut out backwards so they will show correctly on the bottom of the dish.

Once you've pressed down the stencil and made sure all the edges are secure, cover the stencil generously with etching cream. I believe the package says to leave it on for 5 minutes or so but I always wait at least 15 to make sure it has plenty of time to etch away...

Since the cream isn't cheap I scrape off the excess and put it back in the bottle. Then give the dish a good rinsing, peel off the stencil and wash it again. You don't want any extra cream eating away at the glass.

Then I did the same process for the letter A.



I added some delicous Tastefully Simple spinach dip and holiday napkins and it's a great personalized gift that they will put to use!

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I would love it if you linked up to our party going on now! http://herestohandyandy.blogspot.com/2011/12/pinteresting-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete