Friday, September 16, 2011

Fall Decorating Naturally

Our front yard has two big oak trees. Every summer/fall this means our front yard and driveway are covered with tiny acorns. It doesn't help that the squirrels run back and forth knocking down as many as they can. 
It looks like it's raining acorns!

I don't know why I haven't collected them until this year, but I thought they would be a great addition to our fall decor. They were a little beat up from hitting the ground.


I gave them a coat of bronze spray paint.


And added them to these Pottery Barn hurricanes I found at Goodwill.



If I can collect enough I'm going to attempt a fall wreath next!

6 comments:

  1. How awesome! I love that bronze color. I should do this....we always have tons of these just lying around in the fall. Thanks for the post. =)
    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren--Just wanted to let you know that you WON the Jamberry giveaway on my blog, Southern Lovely! Congrats! Send me your email & I will pass it along to the person who will be contacting you!

    http://southernlovely.blogspot.com/2011/09/jamberry-winner.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - Love it... Found ya on hop/linky party, officially following with smiles.. Great blog you have here & I can't wait to read more.. I'm Marilyn from http://theartsygirlconnection.blogspot.com/2011/09/its-officially-fall-crawl-day-1.html - hope you can stop in sometime.. :)) TY

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love the way they look spray painted! You are so lucky to have found PB hurricanes at Goodwill!! I'm jealous! Found you on Christina's linky party!
    *Stephanie
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I love the spray paint idea on these. One year I actually spray painted dried oak leaves and they turned out pretty fabulous. Helped keep them from rotting too - I still have them. I gathered acorns one year and ended up with little worms wherever I put them so I think spray painting would totally fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful idea!


    Melanie
    bearrabbitbear.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete