Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Evolution Of My Craft Space...

I first discovered the world of craft blogging about 6 months ago... ever since I've been hooked! As I stumbled from one amazing blog to the next it soon became apparent that I NEEDED a craft space. Like right that very second. After seeing so many inspiring rooms I couldn't think about anything else~!

A little background about us: we've been married for just over a year but bought our house about 2 1/2 years ago from a couple who had owned it for over 50 years. It had been well taken care of, but just wasn't quite our style. We ripped up carpet, took out doors and windows, and refinished just about every surface we could. Our house was built in 1948 so it's full of character and charming details, but definitely lacks storage space. We have a mud room of sorts off our kitchen which also leads to the garage.

When we bought our house it looked like this:
 As you can imagine, the paneling, the pink carpet, and everything had to go! We stripped the whole room down to this:
Added insulation and then new sheet rock and texture. I don't have a picture of the whole room, but it looked like this:

And it pretty much stayed like that for awhile. We put some old cabinets down there but it was the catch all for things that didn't have a place. We called it the "dog room" because it's where these two stay when we're gone:

 Although they may not like me invading their space I knew it was the perfect place to set up my new craft room. Now I just needed some furniture! Of course I wanted something cute, but also something functional where I could hide away the clutter. My husband found these great pieces at a storage auction and thought they would be perfect for my new craft space.

First was a matching desk and dresser from an old bedroom set:

Both were in pretty bad shape but had so much potential. It took a bit of scrubbing, a little glue, and lots of primer and paint, but they turned out like this:


I love the detail and feminine shape. What do you think?

There is so much more to my craft room, but that will have to wait for another post!

2 comments:

  1. Those look great! I am looking forward to seeing some crafts...maybe you can have a craft party...cocktails and creativity...sounds good to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop showboating! Just kidding. Great job, sista.

    ReplyDelete